Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Distant Bonds

This Post is not about being a grandparent, or parent. It is about the distance that separates us.


Yesterday my youngest sister, who lives in Phoenix, lost the love of her life when he lost his fight with leukemia. In just a little over 4 months this man waged his war on heart disease, diabetes, valley fever, and chemotherapy which left his kidneys damaged enough to also require kidney dialysis. The leukemia entered his liver, causing that organ to begin failing. Then this week, because of his weakened immune system, sepsis set into his blood, causing an infection throughout his entire body. By Wednesday the battle was over, he had called his truce, he was ready. He had two days of calm and comfort, rest and assurance. With my sister at his side, he slipped to the heavens in the early morning hours of Friday, July 15th. The mark he made on everyone's life is remarkable, the responses truly endearing. He was a lover of life, golf, food, passionate about his work, and a friend to all. The world is better for his being here for 62 years, worse for his leaving us way too early.


The distance has been with my sister in Phoenix, my sisters in California and New Hampshire, and my daughters in Maryland and Dallas. The distance that separates us. The phone calls and the texts, the individual ways we have shed tears and reached out to one another. But our thoughts, our prayers, our wishes, and yes, our tears also unite us. We have a bond that brings us together no matter how many miles separate us. This has touched us each in different ways, in different degrees, in our own different memories. But those memories also link us as they overlap times spent with him and with each other. I can not be there as my daughter begins her run this morning in his honor, I can't help my daughter who tried to fly out to Phoenix yesterday to be with her Aunt, and I can't offer my shoulder to my sister who is facing yet another loss of someone she loves deeply. But I know that we are there with each other, we are sharing each others' pain, and we are reaching and touching and connecting, because we are loved. Watch over us Dave, our bonds are strengthened in your loss, we shall forever miss you, but our memories of you bring us joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment