Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

BenGay? DO YOU NEED BENGAY?

I am off from work today. I like having off on Thursdays because it breaks up my week, and gives me a day in the middle to do errands and such when most other people are working. So, I started my morning having my snow tires taken off and my all season tires put back on. It's like packing away your winter coat and walking around in your little spring jacket. It feels like you have shed all that heavy weight, and you're ready for the lighter side of life. We actually hit 73° yesterday, and it was so beautiful out. It was time to turn the season on my tires. From there, I made my bi-weekly trip to the grocery store. I use to go every week, but I found it takes up half of my day off, so for the past few years I have only gone every other week. And I try to not have to go back for something in-between because I find I spend another $70 even if all I needed was bananas. It was quiet there this morning. It usually is, especially during the week. Who else shops at this time? Lots of retired people, and young mommies with very small children. You know how it is, you keep turning every corner and it seems like you constantly run into the same person. Or, in today's case, two quite elderly women going very slowly down each aisle. The middle of each aisle. I couldn't help but smile each time I managed to get past them because I was thinking they seemed like sisters. They were talking about what they needed, arguing over what they were going to cook, and each added things to their single cart along the way. I was wondering if that would be my sister and I in the years to come. You see, she lives in New Hampshire right now, and its about a 4 hour drive from our house to hers. It's been nice being this close to her, meeting halfway for lunch, or spending a day or two together at one house or the other. But it isn't close enough for a spur of the moment rendezvous, a quick dinner after work, or for grocery shopping together. That will all change in the months ahead! She and her husband have talked about the possibility of moving closer to us for awhile, but they have lived where they are for almost 30 years! In a beautiful house they built themselves, in a wonderful location. In fact, their being there, was what brought us up to New England in the first place. We always loved our time with them, and have great memories of days spent up there, especially the year the girls and I lived with them while my husband was stationed in Korea. Now it will be our turn to have them here with us! They each work as retail managers and thru meant-to-be situations, they are each being transferred to their store's Burlington, Vermont locations! He will come first, the first of June. And she will come either when their house sells, or sometime around August or September. They will stay with us until they are able to find a house to buy, or until we drive each other completely crazy! But I think it will work out just fine. We all work, and we all have our own schedules, so there will be a lot of coming and going. But it will be so nice to be closer to each other, and to know that as the years pass, we will have each other to depend on and to help. I am really looking forward to it. And, say, in 15 years when we are old like those ladies in the grocery store today (Wait! 15 years? Could we really be like that in such a short span of time?), maybe it will be me yelling at my sister like the one did to the other this morning, "BenGay? DO YOU NEED BENGAY?"

My wonderful sister and brother-in-law

No comments:

Post a Comment