Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

White-Out Driving

I decided, on my way home from work tonight, that I really prefer not to die in a horrendous car accident on a snow packed interstate. I don't want it to be because of something stupid that I do, or because of something that a crazy driver does because he needs to pass me when you could barely see past the front of your car, and sure can't make out even a single lane of the road you're driving on. Tonight's drive home was pretty awful, probably my worst drive home since I began commuting to Burlington nearly 2 years ago. And my thoughts about not wanting to die in a car accident was because my 2 hour drive home 4 days ago was because a woman who lived in a neighboring town was killed driving into Burlington, and worse yet-she was wearing her seat belt. I know this isn't the most up-lifting post to make, but it is a fact of life living in Vermont, that you will most likely have to make several questionable drives each winter, deciding which driving habits will get you safely to your destination. Mine tonight was to follow the car ahead of me who was going about 35 miles an hour, which felt just about right to me. That is until he decided 20 to 25 mph was a better choice, at which point I made the decision to pass him and venture into the great white void on my own. If it wasn't for the banks of snow on either side of the interstate, I wouldn't have known for sure that I was even of the road. But I made it home all in one piece, thankful for another safe journey, and glad that the snow should end about 7am, about 2 hours before I need to drive back down to Burlington to open the store for the day. I will end this now because we are in the middle of a bunch of lightening and thunder, and the 3-6" of snow has just been adjusted to 9-12", with periods of rain, freezing rain and sleet mixed in. Sounds like the perfect recipe for a power outage...

No comments:

Post a Comment