Pages

Friday, October 19, 2012

It is Nearly Finished

 
I started these postings about our Mighty Maple Tree at the end of August, with the first photo on the 25th. Here it is, nearly 2 months later, and when I drove past the tree this morning there were only leaves on the bottom third of the tree. The top is completely bare. I would have taken a picture, but it was raining, and it just doesn't show well in dreary weather. However, here is what it looked like 2 days ago, on the 17th:
 
Mighty Maple on October 17, 2012
 

It still looked magnificent, and yes, those are the cows enjoying the trees' branches. They often hang out under the tree, but that's also where their water tub is. I know I probably missed peak foliage this year because of my trip to Maryland, but here is what this tree looked like in its prime on October 12 of last year:


What is truly amazing is to compare Mighty Maple this year (see previous blog) to almost the exact same date last year. What a difference! Now the sun and the blue sky really does affect the brilliance of the picture, but still, there is a remarkable variance in the extent of progression. If I can remember to do it, I will be curious to see what this tree looks like in the years to come right around the same time each year. I'll try to capture it within a few days of October 10th, when its nice and sunny.
After I snapped the photo on Wednesday of the maple tree, I stopped and took this one looking towards our neighbor's barn with the trees reflecting in our pond.
 
 
It really was a breathtaking drive to work that day with the blue, blue sky and the sun shining on all the trees along the hills. Soon the trees will be completely bare, and the scenery dull and brown until those white flakes start drifting down to coat the world in its blanket of cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment